Linear Cartesian movements

Linear Cartesian movements

Postby AIS » Tue 21. Oct 2014, 12:05

Hello,

I am using the provided "/simulation_interface_ur5/cartesian_position" action to perform a linear movement. Even if it is a linear movement of a short distance, it takes a long time to execute it as it performs a sequence of short movements.

I tried to modify the parameters of WayPoint message (linVel, linAcc, blend_radius...), but it is not possible to execute a continuous movement.

Is there any way to achieve a continuous linear movement?

Kind regards
AIS

by Advertising » Tue 21. Oct 2014, 12:05

Advertising

Re: Linear Cartesian movements

Postby ipa-lth » Wed 22. Oct 2014, 13:28

Dear AIS,
the node providing /simulation_interface_ur5/cartesian_position has been used for some basic proof of concept and is just not capable of performing what you want.
If I am not mistaken, the program interpolates exactly 10 waypoints between the actual pose and the target pose, uses the KDL inverse kinematic solver to transform the waypoints to joint configurations and send them to the joint controller. Thereby effectivitly performing a PTP movement with 10 intermediate points on a straight line. The time between every configuration is hard coded, and that is why long pathes are very course while short pathes take very long.

In a nutshell "simulation_interface_ur5" is just not powerful, robust or well-tested enough.

Probably the best possibilities for you are to use either Move-it or implement your own solution.

Sorry for the bad news,
kind regards,
Lorenz

EuRoC Challenge 1 - Support
ipa-lth

TAGS

Return to Stage 1 - Simulation