tf and joint states

tf and joint states

Postby afer » Mon 15. Sep 2014, 10:21

Hello,

We are used to work with the tf and joint_state topic. However when we startup the task_selector and the example appication the tf doesn't appear and the joint_states is empty. Some questions of the forum are related with the tf, so are we doing something wrong? We have to run another extra node?

Regards

Ane
afer

by Advertising » Mon 15. Sep 2014, 10:21

Advertising

Re: tf and joint states

Postby Peter Lehner » Mon 15. Sep 2014, 10:36

Hello Ane,

The euroc c2s1 interface publishes the joint state information in a custom "Telemetry" message, in order to supply more/different information than possible with the standard ROS JointStates message. Therefore it is not readily usable with tf and the robot state publisher. Nevertheless it is straight forward to write a simple node that remaps the relevant information from the /euroc_interface_node/telemetry topic to a joint_states topic which the robot state publisher expects.

For the necessary steps to publish tf information with the robot state publisher see:
http://wiki.ros.org/robot_state_publish ... wn%20robot

You can access the necessary urdf model files from the euroc_c2_description ros package as specified in the technical annex.

Best
Peter
Peter Lehner

Postby afer » Tue 16. Sep 2014, 07:21

Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for the reply.

The robot state publisher requires the robot description. I found the urdf file in the folder that are specified in the technical annex. However, there isn't a general description robot model file, or scene file, where the robot appears on the top of the table or the relative position of the gripper regarding to the tip of the arm, the sensors, etc. I have found a scene file in /tmp/euroc_c2s1.scene. Should I use it to create the urdf that I need or it is forbidden?

Regards,

Ane
afer

Postby Peter Lehner » Tue 16. Sep 2014, 07:51

afer wrote:The robot state publisher requires the robot description. I found the urdf file in the folder that are specified in the technical annex. However, there isn't a general description robot model file, or scene file, where the robot appears on the top of the table or the relative position of the gripper regarding to the tip of the arm, the sensors, etc.

Yes, there is no general available scene file on purpose. Some transformations, like the initial position of the robot on the table can change in the final task versions.
afer wrote:I have found a scene file in /tmp/euroc_c2s1.scene. Should I use it to create the urdf that I need or it is forbidden?

You may definitely use it currently to get an intuition of the scenes. But I would not recommend to use it for the final evaluation. /tmp/euroc_c2s1.world is part of the simulator virtual machine to which you will have no access during the final evaluation. The file is generated during every simulation run and will definitely be different for every task in the final evaluation. The recommended way is to compute the necessary transformations from the public task description and the sensor information by yourself.

Best,
Peter
Peter Lehner

Return to Stage 1 - Simulation