Final Evaluation Hardware

This forum is dedicated to questions regarding Challenge 3

Final Evaluation Hardware

Postby tracker » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 12:56

Hi,

We have some questions regarding the final evaluation hardware/procedure:

1) Is the client VM used on the evaluation hardware or is the code directly executed on the evaluation hardware?

2) Is it allowed to use 2 CPU cores?

Thanks!

Best,
Griffin the tracker ;-)
tracker

by Advertising » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 12:56

Advertising

Re: Final Evaluation Hardware

Postby ffurrer » Mon 8. Sep 2014, 12:20

Dear tracker,

1. We as well use a virtual machine of the client side on the evaluation computer, the exact same one as we distributed with the changes on the git repository. (the only difference is that we run the server native, which doesn't change anything for you though)
2. We are currently discussing the usage of multiple CPUs on the client VM.

Best,
Fadri
ffurrer

Postby tracker » Tue 9. Sep 2014, 08:29

Dear Fadri,

1) So you are not using our VM, but you are using the same VM. Which means all the things we use need to be inside the catkin workspace (and no additionally installed software on the system)? I assume we just need to submit the binaries and not the source code?

2) Ok, I'm waiting for an answer for this.

Best,
Thomas
Griffin the tracker
tracker

Postby markusachtelik » Tue 9. Sep 2014, 12:02

Dear Thomas,

sorry, 1) was not entirely clear: you send in your VM, but we're going to make sure that it has the same HW configurations (Processors, RAM ...) as the one that we released for download. You can of course delete your source code, actually we encourage to do that, so that we won't run into IP issues. Just make sure that we can run the launchfiles for every sub-task.
markusachtelik

Postby frantisek.durovsky » Thu 11. Sep 2014, 18:30

Hi Euroc

I have another evaluation hardware related question. Please correct me if I m wrong or if I misunderstood something

So lets say - Task 2 Low difficulty:
According to image header stamps the whole flight took 141.90 sec. If I want to score max 4 points in section "Computation time" sa noted in Scoring system annex, I need to achieve processing time < 0.1tmax which means less than 14.19sec for whole octomap. But... In my case just requesting data from simserv,(no processing, no publising) with only simple console data counting output takes more than 160 sec.

Could you please provide info, how long does it take on evaluation hardware to only get those data from server in this task. Just to get an idea about processing power of your evaluation machine.

frantisek.durovsky
First ROS Team of Kosice
frantisek.durovsky

Postby uniko_th » Wed 17. Sep 2014, 13:40

Hello,

these questions, especially the second one regarding the use of two cores, is highly relevant to us as well. The direction of our development currently depends on the availability of a second core; when can we expect an official decision from the EuRoC team in this regard?

Thanks.
uniko_th

Postby tracker » Fri 19. Sep 2014, 12:31

Hello,

Also our current development depends on the availability of one or two cores. Therefore, it would be great if you could give a statment regarding this question as soon as possible!

Thanks,
Thomas
tracker

Postby sebsch » Mon 22. Sep 2014, 14:18

Hallo,

we are a bit surprised by this post since we so far assumed that we would be able to use both cores on a dual-core machine.

We would really appreciate if you could clarify this issue soon.

Thanks,
Sebastian
sebsch

Postby markusachtelik » Fri 26. Sep 2014, 17:26

Dear all,

sorry for the delay - we decided to allow the use of two CPU cores. We will release a VM with the new settings and provide information what needs to be changed next week.

Best,
Markus
markusachtelik

Postby uniko_th » Sun 28. Sep 2014, 11:06

markusachtelik wrote:[...] we decided to allow the use of two CPU cores. We will release a VM with the new settings and provide information what needs to be changed next week.

Thank you.
uniko_th